Lighting the Earth
About Eco-Justice Press
The purpose of Eco-Justice Press is to provide a venue for scholars, writers, and activists who wish to contribute to educational reforms that focus on ecologically and culturally sustainable theories, ideas, issues and practices. We seek to promote an advanced level of informed discussion by classroom teachers, university professors, and the general public about the role of education in making the transition to a sustainable future. Thus, we invite others to participate in a critique of traditional patterns of thinking and values that underlie an individualistic / consumer-dependent / industrial culture, and in articulating a more social and eco-justice paradigm... read more
Eco-Justice as a Guiding Conceptual and Moral Framework
The following five criteria should guide the decision to submit a manuscript to the Eco-Justice Press:
1. Eliminating the world-wide practices that are exposing humans, animals, and plants to the genetically altering and thus health destroying chemicals that are viewed as the cutting edge of scientific progress by the $600 billion chemical industry.
2. Transitioning away from the West’s patterns of hyper-consumerism that lead to exploiting the resources and people in other regions of the world.
3. Revitalizing the cultural commons; that is, the non-monetized intergenerational practices, skills, and relationships that enable people to be less dependent upon consumerism and that have a smaller environmental impact. Also, retaining the ability to think critically about which aspects of the cultural commons need to be reformed or changed entirely, and understanding the many ways in which the cultural commons are being enclosed—that is, being integrated into a money economy.
4. According to Vandana Shiva, the need to recognize and protect the ecological traditions of earth democracy—that is, the right of other species to participate in the web of life—and not to be reduced to an exploitable resource.
5. Leaving future generations with ecologically sustainable cultural ways of thinking and practices, thus ensuring that their life chances have not been diminished.
Eco-Justice Press, L.L.C. © 2011-2014
We can help you reach 39,000 retailers and libraries around the world.
What We Offer
• Wide distribution
• Assistance for first time authors
• Low cost and streamlined process
• In-house design available
NEW from Aurora Books!